Monday, October 26, 2009

Mac Tonnies: Blogger, Transhumanist and Paranormal Expert Dead

It is with a lot of sorrow that I pass along the word that Mac Tonnies, writer and blogger who ran the Posthuman Blues blog has passed away. Mac wrote about some very brilliant stuff and, the reason why he is mentioned here, is because he was the very first blogger to ever link to my blog. I hadn't spoken with him in a long while, and all of my communications with him had been virtual, but he is defintitely going to be missed.

Here are a couple of information links:

Sentient Developments: Remembering Mac Tonnies
Back in 2006 I discovered that a prominent UFOlogist had been linking to a number of articles on my blog. Even more startling was the realization that the blog in question, Posthuman Blues, was an effort to bridge transhumanist discourse with that of the UFOlogists.

Eager to break the memetic linkage between the two seemingly disparate schools of thought, I penned the article, "Unidentified Flying Idiots." It was typical of my rants, a vitriolic diatribe directed against a group of know-nothing X-Files zealots who were giving legitimate scientific studies a bad name.
UFO Mystic: Mac Tonnies Gone
It is hard to find the right words to describe my feelings at this moment.

The last time we talked was just after his appearance on Coast To Coast on September 28th. He asked if I thought he had done a good job. I said he hit one over the fence.

Mac Tonnies is a voice in these topics that will be missed.