Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Scott King vs TSA – Winner: TSA

On a level, I think that he brought some of this on himself (see the link for his general attitude towards the screening process and the fact that he left his bags outside of a bathroom) but the thought that reading a particular comic makes one a terrorist is just bothersome and yet symptomatic of the overall level of "Thought Crime" sometimes in this country.

Probably not the thing that I want to be putting on my blog but oh well.

The second problem was that I had several graphic novels with me. I had planned to read them on the plane. I had 'DMZ' volumes 1, 2 & 3, 'The Nightly News,' and 'Artemis Fowl.' The guard flipped through 'DMZ' saw a ravaged New York City and them immediately called for two other security guards to join him in the room. I was then questioned for over an hour about the comics and why I had them. I was point blank asked if I was a terrorist or if I ever had desires to harm other. The whole ordeal was completely ridiculous. I can understand them being cautious but going ballistic because of the graphic novels I had with me is taking it too far.


Ironically, he was apparently coming here to Cleveland. I guess that I should leave my copies of "DMZ" at home when I travel this Christmas season.

By the way, if you haven't picked up Brian Wood's thoroughly brilliant "DMZ" book yet, you really should. The first taste is (almost) free, with DC/Vertigo offering the first trade collection for only $9.95. It's harder and harder to find comics at that pricing anymore.

If you don't know about the book, check out the Wikipedia page. It's OK by Wikipedia standards.